Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What does the August heat make you think of?

You might be surprised what it reminds me of... baling and hauling hay. I kid you not. When it gets to be in the high 90s and the heat index is over 100 I start thinking about baling hay. In the heat. Wearing jeans. SWEATING. The smell of clover in the air that feels like I'm drowning in. Horseflies. My sister falling off the hay wagon. Dad's arms covered in grasseed that's stuck to his sweaty arms. Dad throwing a 115 lb. bale up on the trailer like it's 5 lbs. Climbing around in the top of the barn stacking the hay.

It wasn't pretty. It definitely wasn't fun - ok, I laughed a little when Jenny fell off the wagon swatting at a horsefly. But, it's one of those memories you'll never forget, that you take a little bit of pride in. That reminds you what hard work feels like and makes you want to recreate it for your kids. Just a little.

No comments: