So, with Christopher's 10-month anniversary just around the corner, I've started thinking about weaning. Yes, I'm still breastfeeding. I've breastfed each of my babies right up until their first birthday's. So, this is the last couple of months of the fourth year that I've spent breastfeeding - not consecutively, thank goodness. And it's gotten me thinking. About all of the wonderful things about nursing and all of the frustrating.
Nursing in public. (sorry, but) Sore nipples. Bras. I hate bras while I'm nursing! Unexpected visitors in the middle of the afternoon send me running for my bedroom! TEETHING. Nursing makes me tired. I don't know if it's the hormones or the drain on my body - probably both. But, I have an energy boost when I'm finished. Exposing my back, side and sometimes my gut 4-6 times a day. And the diet restrictions. I'm not the type of person to add jalopenos or tobasco to everything. But three of my babies have been extremely sensitive. Tomatoes, beans, chili powder, almonds, garlic, onions - my diet has had to be pretty bland. I had no idea how many recipes I had that were just a little too spicy. I will be glad to be free to have two cups of coffee. Two of my babies would not take a bottle no matter what was in it, so the ability to go for an extended period of time when necessary will be nice.
Now, the things that I will miss... Those chubby hands on my skin. The way his eyes roll back in his head when he's tired and hungry and it's just so comforting and it must just taste so good. Those moments when our eyes lock and we share that precious bond. The ability to comfort when nothing else will. Holding him close. The ability to take off with baby and have the nourishment he needs ready to go without preparation. And, let's face it, sometimes it's nice that I'm the only one he wants because it's time to eat!
I've had many ask me lately how I feel about being so close to being finished. It's bittersweet. No matter how you look at it, by the end of a year I'm ready to be finished. But, the prospect of being finished for good seems awfully sad. I can't say that I'll ever regret it.

No comments:
Post a Comment