Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Enchilada Stacks

In an effort to organize my recipes and have them at my fingertips at all times no matter where I am, I'm going to try and post one once a day.



I love it when I post my goals on a public forum so that when I fail I do so in front of the entire world. Oh well. Can't say that I don't share my flaws with you.



I can't take credit for this recipe. A dear friend brought this for my family when I had baby #3. And then I laid seige to her inbox until she shared the recipe with me. They are wonderful.



ENCHILADA STACKS



Number of servings: 8

INGREDIENTS

2 cups cooked shredded chicken

3/4 tsp. ground cumin
2 cups sour cream

1tbsp. cilantro
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided

pepper and salt to taste
1/2 c. chopped green onion

1/2 c. oil
1/4 c. chopped green chilies

10 flour tortillas
1 (10oz.) can mild enchilada sauce

INSTRUCTIONS

Prepare filling: Combine cooked chicken, sour cream, 1 c. of cheese, green onion, green chilies, cumin, and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Fry tortillas: Heat oil over med. heat. Cook tortillas one at a time, frying on both sides until done. Drain on paper towels.

Assemble the stack: Pour enchilada sauce onto a deep plate. Dip one side of a tortilla into the sauce, then place it, sauce side down on a baking sheet. Spread small portion of the filling to cover the tortilla. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, sauce, and filling, stacking one tortilla on top of another and ending with a tortilla. Should use five tortillas in a stack with a total of two stacks.

Pour any remaining enchilada sauce over top of stacks, then sprinkle with remaining cheese. (Note: At this time, the stacks can be refrigerated a few hours till ready to bake and serve.) Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

No comments: