Thursday, June 25, 2009

Chocolate and Fruit Trifle

This is magical. Heavenly. Sinful. Delicious. Or as Pioneer Woman would say, Deliciously, delicous. Did I mention that I really love this dessert? Obviously I do not make it often enough because it has reached other worldly goodness in my mind. Not to mention it's so pretty.

This was one of the recipes that my mother-in-law gave me when I got married. Bless her. So, without further ado...

Chocolate and Fruit Trifle

1 18 1/4 oz. devil's food cake mix
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup cold water
1 3/4 oz package vanilla pudding
2 cups whipping cream, whipped
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
2 cups fresh raspberries
2 kiwi, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon orange juice

Prepare cake batter as directed. Pour into greased 15 x 10 baking pan (I think this is called a bar pan). Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until done. Cool completely. Crumble enough cake to measure 8 cups; set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine milk and water until smooth. Add pudding mix; beat on low speed for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Fold in the whipped cream.

To assemble, spread 2 1/2 cups pudding mixture in a 4 qt. glass bowl. Top with half of the crumbled cake; sprinkle with one tablespoon orange juice. Arrange half the berries and kiwi over cake. Repeat pudding and cake layers; sprinkle with remaining fruit around edge of bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

No comments: