Friday, May 22, 2009

Food!

For whatever reason, every time I try to take a picture of my dishes they turn out terrible. So, I'm going to go ahead and post a few of our family favotites and see if I can't do some research that will give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong. (See what I did there? If I tell you I'm going to do it, and I go ahead and post this, then I have to get it done... maybe).

I make this on a regular basis to freeze for Hubby's lunches. He can throw a frozen serving in his lunch box and by lunchtime it's thawed and he can microwave it. It's chalk-full of fiber with all of the beans and he loves it. Also, I make it in the crockpot so it's so easy. AND if I make it for the fam we always eat it with fritoes, cheddar, and sour cream. So you don't have to miss out on the fat :-)

Incidentally, this is what I served the night we told my folks I was pregnant with our first. We put pacifiers in their bowls :-)

Taco Soup

1 ½ to 2 lbs. ground beef – browned and drained
1 large onion chopped (add to hamburger to brown)
1 can chili beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can rotel
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can diced green chilies
1 can corn
1 can hominy (we often omit this)
1 can tomato soup
2 pkgs taco seasoning
1 pkg ranch dressing mix
salt and pepper to taste
Add all ingredients (undrained-except black beans) and cook 2 hours or longer (I usually use a crock-pot on high). Serve with grated cheese, fritos, or tortilla chips.

(recipe from Helen Coe)

No comments: