Powell is turning 8 next week. I just cannot even.
He is such. a little. man. How does this happen?
I watch him take his little brother under his wing. And then watch his little brother LIGHT. UP.
His flaws push all my buttons and make me lose it. But so do his strengths. His sweet moments.
I have recorded a few of his quirks for your enjoyment. And mine. And his in ten years :)
I was in the kitchen and I heard Powell and Christopher playing. Powell was saying, 'I'll eat you up!' So I said in my best Where the Wild Things Are voice, 'I'll eat you up!!' Without missing a beat, from the other room, I heard Powell, 'said Max (completely monotone).'
This is one of those embarrassing moments. I'm sure his Sunday School teacher enjoyed telling me this story waaaaaay too much. To lay the foundation a little I should tell you, Powell is playing machine pitch ball this year - which highly encourages that the boys where a protective cup. Since I rarely take the kids to the store to buy them something - especially just one of them - Powell felt pretty special that I bought something just for him because he's a boy and because he's getting older. But that's not where this story ends. Our children's program is great. They are always planning fun, entertaining games and crafts for the kids. This particular Sunday they handed the kids play-doh and instructed them to make something in 60 seconds. Someone, bless his/her heart, yelled out, 'make a cup!' Yep. Make a cup. You guessed it. My boy made a cup. A protective cup. Later, after church, at the VBS prep meeting, his sweet, Sunday School teacher told me all about it. Laugh? Or cry? I think I'm going to choose to laugh. And keep on laughing. I might sound like a loon here in a few years!
For historical purposes I need to note that Powell has become obsessed with Thriller by Michael Jackson. He has memorized every word and plays it over and over and there may or may not be a musical production in the fall ; )
The kids were sitting at the bar having lunch and Lola came out with one of her sweet, regular statements. 'Mom, you're the best mommy ever.'
'Oh sweetie, I'm not the best mommy ever, but I'm your mommy.'
And Powell says, 'Mary was the best mommy ever.'
Yes, bud, I'm sure she was.
No comments:
Post a Comment