This summer at the pool Powell was at the 'baby pool' where my nephew and other son were, playing with some friends. One of the boys, bigger than my nephew who's 2 and smaller than my son, who's 7, started in on my nephew (pushing). I had barely had time to take a step in that direction and open my mouth, when here comes Powell. He was so fast. I do not know how to explain to you how this took my breath away. It was such a, well, man thing to do. And he handled it so well! He slipped between the two of them so fast to prevent another hand being laid. And he didn't raise his own hands in response. He just told the child to stop (this other child was a friend of mine's and in no way was acting out of order for a 4 year old - I don't want you to get the wrong idea).
Anyway, his chest was all puffed up and it just reminded me, as I am reminded periodically, that we're raising a little man, My Man and I. And it's such a weighty thing. Teaching a boy when to stand up for someone. How to be smart about it.
I was so proud of him.
No comments:
Post a Comment