Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Beefy Tortellini Soup

This was served at a dinner party Hubby and I attended. Fell in love (With the soup, I mean. Was already in love with Hubby, of course). I should probably mention that I was in a soup phase. I should also mention I was pregnant and obsessed with soups at the time. Like, every meal.

Anyway, the point is, who doesn't love tortellini? Seriously, best pasta ever invented. Love it.

Also, Hubby and I are huge fans of French bread. Big, crusty, warm, yummy, soup for the soul French bread. Especially with anything pasta and any soup. So this is perfect. Personally, I make my French bread dough in my bread machine and bake it myself. Works for us. Bon appetit!

Beefy Tortellini Soup

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 lb. lean ground beef
2 1/2 cups beef broth
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1 tsp basil
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 lb cheese-filled tortellini
2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into thin half-rounds
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a medium saucepan, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and stir-fry until the mixture just begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Crumble in the beef and cook, stirring, until the meat is no longer pink, about 3 minutes.

Add the broth, 1 1/2 cups of water, and the tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, basil, and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.

Add the tortellini and cook until al dente according to package directions.

Three minutes before the tortellini are done, add the zucchini to the soup. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is crisp-tender.

Serve the soup with the Parmesan cheese on the side.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Bryan didn't care much for soups for a long time. Now during the winter we have "soup and sandwich Saturday" I love it! It lets me create and experiment and they get to try new things.