Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Some of my favorites

I haven't kept it a secret that when fall comes around it makes me want to cook.  Bake.  You name it.  But this fall has been so obvious it's been almost laughable.  I think I've tripled the amount of flour I've been buying.  Ridiculous.  Ridonkulous.

This week I made two of my favorites, lasagna and pecan pie, which also happen to be Pioneer Woman recipes.  Surprise.  However, in my previous blogs about these recipes I just link directly to the recipe on her site.  But, I do do a couple of things differently and apparently I can't be trusted to write them down anywhere else.  SO.  Here they are. 

Lasagna

Meat mixture
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 lb hot breakfast sausage
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5 oz cans whole tomatoes (stewed)
2 6 oz cans tomato paste
2 T dried parsley
2 T dried basil
1 t salt

Cheese mixture
3 cups lowfat cottage cheese
2 beaten eggs
1 cup grated (not shredded) parmesan, divided
2 T dried parsley
1 t salt
1 lb sliced mozzarella cheese

1 10 oz. pkg lasagna noodles (8 noodles)

Brown beef, sausage, and garlic together.  Drain half the fat.  Add tomatoes, parsley, basil and salt.  Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes (until it cooks down and darkens a bit).  Set aside.

Mix cottage cheese, eggs, 1/2 the parmesan, parsley, and salt.

Preheat to 350 degrees.
Assemble:  4 noodles on the bottom of the pan, half cheese mixture, half of the mozzarella, and half of the meat mixture.  Repeat and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.

Cover with foil tightly and bake for 50 minutes.  Remove foil and brown for 15 minutes. 

When it comes out of the oven let it set up and cool for about 20-30 minutes.

Now, Pecan Pie.

I have said it before and I will say it again.  I didn't even like pecan pie before this recipe.

1 whole unbaked pie crust
1 cup white sugar
3 T brown sugar
1/2 t salt
1 cup corn syrup
3/4 t vanilla
1/3 cup melted butter
3 whole eggs, beaten
1 8 oz pkg. whole pecans, mash them up a little yourself

Preheat to 350 degrees.
Prepare pie crust.  Fill the bottom with pecans.  Mix sugars, salt, syrup, vanilla, butter & eggs with fork.  Don't make it frothy.  Pour over pecans and cover lightly with foil. 

Bake for 50 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for 15-20 minutes, careful not to burn crust or pecans.

Yummmoooooo!

Photobucket

No comments: