Monday, October 19, 2009

Baked Beef Enchilada Casserole

Did I mention that my mother-in-law also loves Paula Deen. We have agreed that there's rarely a recipe of hers we don't like. So, in the spirit of Miss Paula, Ann passed this one along also. Or maybe she served this and I emailed her until she gave it to me. Because I'm a rotten daughter-in-law like that.

Bake Beef Enchilada Casserole

2 T butter
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground beef
1 T chili powder
1 1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 t ground red pepper
2 (10.75 oz) can creamy chicken Verde soup (I've never found this at the store, so I use cream of chicken soup)
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
18 corn tortillas, divided
2 (10 oz) cans red enchilada sauce divided
1 (16 oz) can refried beans
4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided

Garnish: sliced black olives and red, green, and yellow bell pepper curls. It also is wonderful with crushed corn chips on top.

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add ground beef, chili powder, salt and red pepper. Cook until beef is brown and crumbly: drain. Stir in soup and green chiles: set aside. Line prepared baking dish with 6 corn tortillas. In a medium bowl, whisk together one can of enchilada sauce and refried beans. Spread bean mixture onto tortillas. Evenly sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer 5 more tortillas. Cover with meat mixture. Evenly sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer remaining 6 tortillas. Evenly spoon remaining can of enchilada sauce onto tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups cheese. Bake for 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Garnish with sliced black olives, pepper curls and crushed corn chips as desired.

No comments: