Thursday, April 11, 2024

Sourdough Sandwich Bread

It's become necessary to post this recipe so I can stop digging in my kitchen drawers...  I guess I'm not giving up on sourdough ;)

Sandwich & Pizza Crust Dough

250 grams of starter
420 grams of milk
16 grams of salt
300 grams of all-purpose flour    
40 grams of honey
300 grams of bread flour (all-purpose is fine too)

Mix initial time.  Turn and fold or use dough hook every 20 minutes 3 or 4 times.  I like to warm my oven and keep warm in-between initially.  Then, let rise and double for 6-8 hours.  Depending on how warm your kitchen is you may need to warm or chill based on when you will be available to work in the next step.  This is the primary reason this recipe takes a few tries to figure out - it's specific to your house!

When it's ready it should be a smooth ball that bounces back.  Grease loaf pan with butter.  I have a longer slimmer one that I like to use.  Pinch ends and sides together (to make the top smooth) and place down in the pan.  

Cover and let rise to top of loaf pan.  2-6 hours.  Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.  Immediately remove from pan (of it will stick).  I like to use a warm oven (don't cover) and it usually takes closer to 2 hours to rise.

Let sit 30 minutes before slicing.  Freezes beautifully.  

Photobucket

No comments: