Tuesday, November 24, 2015

You are Mine

Over the last year there seems to be a theme that keeps coming up.  You know how it goes.  I start thinking to myself, 'Ok, God.  I'm getting the message.'

My favorite songs, my studies, books, scripture...  This time I was reading Whispers of Hope by Beth Moore.  Here's a look:

The New Testament says very little about leadership but contains volumes about servanthood.  Why are we so reluctant to humble ourselves with foot-washing attitudes of service?  A key reason is because we suffer from an identity crisis.  We still define ourselves by others' perceptions and reactions.  Christ could wash grimy feet because He knew who He was.  He could get on His knees and serve a bunch of self-serving saps because His identity came from the Father.  He knew who He was to God.  The more we know God through prayer and His Word, the more aware of and comfortable with our true identity we'll become.  It won't matter if others highly esteem us.  We'll gladly humble ourselves before them because we are highly esteemed by One much greater.  As strange as it seems, Christ does have our future greatness in mind.  He grants it to those who have lived their lives humbly - with a lap full of feet.

As Matthew West says, I'm a child of the one true king.  I'm redeemed.  He calls me His child.  HE gives me worth.

I usually hear this message from God and understand that it defeats many of the lies this world sells.  But, what I wasn't hearing is that it also enables us.  Knowing who we are doesn't just help us to value ourselves - it helps us to live.

This hit me this morning.  I hope it' helpful to you.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I'm going to need to borrow that book. So powerful.