Mom, how did you get everything done?
Mom, you always seemed so sure of everything...
Mom, every Thtime the kids make even the smallest mistake I'm convinced I've failed...
And like she does, she's talking me off the ledge. Walking me through it. Encouraging. Refocusing.
And then she said something.
Carissa, imagine you're life, you're day, without all the technology. The only time my day was interrupted at home was when the phone rang.
I cannot. stop. thinking. about. this. statement.
I had a flashback to my childhood home. You know what hit me? PEACE. That conversation was two days ago. With each day I'm reminded all over again how much I have going on because of technology alone. (The irony that I'm typing this on my laptop and publishing it online is not lost ;).
The emails, texts, alerts, notifications, etc. run rampant throughout my day. They have no boundaries. And this isn't an area that I've ignored. I've addressed this issue in my life and somehow missed as it grew and distracted me somehow never stopping to think what my life/day would be like without them. I cannot do anything anywhere that I am not interrupted. It's no wonder I think I'm losing my mind. It's no coincidence that I can't get anything done or second guess myself constantly.
I'm not finished. Clearly recognizing it hasn't fixed it. I'm still unpacking it. But I keep thinking, what would life be like if the only thing that distracted me from what I'm doing was a phone call?
No comments:
Post a Comment