Tuesday, December 18, 2012

*sigh*


I really wish I was better at journaling/blogging.  There's so much happening, all the time - and my memory's terrible.

I just tucked Christopher in for his nap.  He walked up the stairs when I told him to go.  Ran from the stairs to his room because he thought I was racing him.  When I lifted him into his crib he promptly flipped over, chanting, 'a back, a back.'  Yes, I'll rub your back.  And while I'm rubbing his back he says, 'thank you, yuv you.'  You're welcome.  Love you too, bud.  Night, night.

I've been receiving lots of Christmas cards and there are some that include a letter giving a summary of each in the family.  What a great idea.  I'm not sure I can focus long enough to do something so organized but I'd like to give it a go for the kids.

Maryanna - She's in 2nd grade and doing well.  She loves all things sporty and turns her nose up a little at pink and frills.  In her defense they are 'itchy'.  She likes to play kickball at recess and gets along well with everyone in her class.  She continues to show an aptitude for reading and comprehension and is doing well in all her other studies.  She opted out of soccer this fall in favor of playing basketball this winter.  Practices have started and she looks forward to each one.  She participates in Sunday School and Children's Church on Sunday's and attends TeamKid on Wednesday nights.  She is amazing at scripture memory and recently participated in a Christmas recitation on Sunday morning.  She excels at keeping everyone in line : )

Powell - He started Kindergarten and is doing so well!  He is much more the social butterfly than I ever realized he would be.  He's very matter of fact and I hear lots of details form the goings on at school.  There have how ever been a couple of attempts at kissing him!  He handles everything with running.  From what I understand he spends a great deal of time at recess (and any other opportunity), running.  At bedtime one evening when we were talking about '5 minutes' (time out) and who has and hasn't gotten it, he informed me that he, 'runs..... a lot.  it helps.'  Powell got glasses last June and I cannot tell you how often I hear how they suit him.  They really are adorable on him.  He played soccer this fall and really excelled this year.  Again, one evening at bedtime he informed me that he didn't want to play soccer next year.  (Wha?  You love it!)  'I want to play football.'  Oh goodness.

Lola - While Maryanna shies away from pink and frills, Lola pretty much lives in them.  She is the one we have tutus for.  She is the classic, middle-born, never-met-a-stranger.  She and Powell are also involved in Sunday School, Children's Church and TeamKid.  Both, for their age are doing amazing.  Lola was the youngest on the stage for the recitation Sunday.  She also attends preschool (Kindergarten next fall!) M/W/F and has her Christmas Program soon.  We get to spend one on one time together daily while M and P are at school and Christopher naps.  We like to pick special projects for this time - although I haven't been as good about this lately.  We bake, bead, color or play with play-doh.  These are all difficult to do with a toddler involved so this is a good time for it.   She is so complimentary and sweet one-on-one.  I have never met a child who will note and remember the ailments of those around her.  She remembers these people at prayer time and asks after them days and weeks later - believe me, it's unprompted even. 

Christopher - this sweet thing is so much like his father.  While the others remind me of him in specific ways, Christopher reminds me of him in a lot of ways.  I often ask him if he feels likes he's looking in a mirror.  Funny since he shares his name : )  He has grown so much lately.  He didn't take it easy on me when I was coming to terms with the big '2'.  He has shot up and continued to be more boy-like and less baby-like in his speech and mannerisms.  In fact, the youngest three seemed to have a growth spurt all at the same time.  For a couple of weeks they were all running around in 'high-waters' while I weeded out their winter clothes.  Christopher counts to ten without skipping any numbers most of the time : )  And while he doesn't say his abc's at all, he stands at the refrigerator and tells me what the magnetic letters are.  I get points for that right?  He loves to wrestle with Daddy.  Actually they all get down and wrestle sans Mom!  No thank you!  Christopher's tough and moves like a football player!  Daddy can have that.  : )

And the biggest news as of late is Brutus!  Chris and I gave the kids a golden lab for Christmas.  We did it early because he was ready and we didn't want to wait any longer.  They are very excited and didn't want to go to school the morning after we surprised them.  Maryanna has done really well with him.  They all have, but her in particular.  They each interact with him in their own way.  I shouldn't be surprised that she has done the best at understanding and regulating a puppy.  Powell wants to play.  He does the best with him outside where they can run together.  Lola wants to pet him.  All the time.  Christopher too likes to run with him, back and forth.  He also throws his ball and points which is just adorable.  A toddler ordering a puppy around.  Cute! 

With my current Bible study over and Christmas a week away I have tried to let my daily tasks slide a little to make room for cookie making and Christmas activities.  One of our favorites is 'What God Wants for Christmas'.  If you haven't heard of it and have kids I highly recommend it.  Here are a few pictures of our recent goings on.  Merry Christmas!!

 



 
 
This is what we were making in the previous two photos - so easy and fun for littles!  Preheat to 225.  Put the kisses and rolos (or reisens or any other kind of kisses) on the pretzels on a baking sheet.  Set the timer for 3 minutes.  Pull them out and push a pecan or m&m in the top.  Refrigerate for 10-20 minutes.  Set them out to return to room temp.  So bite sized and yummy!

Photobucket

No comments: