Friday, January 27, 2012

Mexican White Bean Soup

Seriously.  We fought over the leftovers.

Mexican Chicken-White Bean Soup (aslo from Paula Deen)
1 T butter
2 cups chopped white onion
1 cup chopped poblano pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 jalopenos, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups chicken broth
1 (16 oz) package dried great northern beans, soaked, drained, and rinsed
2 t ground cumin
1 t salt
2 1/2 lbs bone-in chicken breasts
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 T fresh lime juice
Garnish:  lime wedges

In a 6 qt pressure cooker, melt butter over medium high heat.  Add onion, peppers, celery and garlic.  Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until onion starts to soften.  Stir in broth, beans, cumin, and salt.  Nestle chicken into broth mixture.
Secure lid on cooker, and bring to high pressure over high heat.  Immediately reduce heat to low to maintain pressure, and cook for 13 minutes.  Remove from heat, and use natural-release method. 
Remove chicken from cooker.  Remove and discard skin and bones; shred meat using 2 forks.  Stir shredded chicken, cilantro, and lime juice into soup.  Garnish with lime wedges if desired.

Again, I don't have a pressure cooker (yet) so I boiled the chicken and then shredded.  Then I combined all ingredients using some of the water that I boiled the chicken in, and simmered for a good hour and a half.  Yummy!!  I completely recommend serving with bread : )

Photobucket

No comments: