Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Red Chicken Curry from Jen Hatmaker



Anyone who knows me has heard me quote something Jen Hatmaker posted/blogged/tweeted/instagramed/etc. She cracks. me. up. Totally hits my funny bone. Probably because she's speaking to me right. where. i. am. And she's funny. And real. And real funny. Did I mention she's funny?


I own 2 of her books and have done 2 of her studies. And somewhere in there picked up a couple of recipes from her as well. Who knew? Like I said, right where I'm at. Jesus. kids. FOOD. ; ) Anyway, her pizza sauce recipe is one of my faves as well, but this chicken curry recipe blew me out of the water. LOVE. Not a great new find when I'm trying to eat well. Not that it's bad for you. It's just bad for you if you go back for seconds and then clean everyone else's bowl. Not even kidding.


So here's the recipe. I'm telling everyone I know to try it. I even coughed up the dough for the bulk spices on amazon (see link below). I also included her commentary, because I basically love her and laugh every single time I reread the recipe to make it (I never said I wasn't an easy laugh).


Honestly, it's too easy. Red chicken curry. I make it on nights I have only ten minutes for prep but still want to eat SOMETHING INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS. Every kid loves it. (BH is the lone holdout on curry, which is clearly just a discernment problem he needs to work out.)

3-5 T red curry paste (this part is completely to taste: less = less spicy, more = muy caliente...I have a bunch of Ethiopians and Texans in my house, so we LIKE IT HOT. Normal people would be so devastated at how hot I make our curry.)
1-2 T Kaffir lime powder (don't panic about these first two ingredients...see below)
Whatever veggies you have sliced thin (my fave in this recipe: snap peas, red or green bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms, but truly, WHATEVER MAN)
Chicken sliced super duper thin (or shrimp or beef or tofu or no meat at all)
2 cans of coconut milk
2-3 cups veggie or chicken stock
Cilantro if you have it
Rice cooked to package directions (I put a can of coconut milk in my rice liquid because I like to live dangerously)

Cook rice. I recently pulled out a rice cooker I've had for five years and never used. So basically my life is changed.

In a stock pot, drop the veggies into 2-3 T olive oil (or whatever oil), salt then stir for 2-3 minutes. I add a few shakes of curry powder too because my mantra on spice is "more is more." Add the red curry paste and kaffir lime powder. Stir into all the oil and veggies until incorporated and no longer pasty. Add the coconut milk and stock. Add the sliced raw chicken. (Listen, I like the chicken poached in the curry instead of cooked before. Tough chicken makes me want to become a vegetarian. Okay, no it doesn't but please understand my big feelings. If you are a Nervous Nelly about this, cook your chicken while you stir fry your veggies at the beginning. It's a free country. But don't come crying to me when your chicken is tough and rubbery.)

Let this all simmer until your rice is done. I usually add a little slurry of corn starch and water to thicken up the curry a bit.

Into a bowl: rice, curry, chopped cilantro. Go heavy on the liquid part of the curry, because this is the stuff dreams are made of. I am so serious.

Here are the two ingredients you don't have. They will come straight to your doorstep from Amazon. You're welcome.

Red curry paste: http://amzn.to/1OS6hsh
Ground kaffir lime leaves: http://amzn.to/1OU7rkY

Photobucket

No comments: