Monday, May 20, 2013

Pizza Crust and HOMEMADE Sauce!!

A few weeks back my father-in-law treated us all to homemade pizza and it was AMAZING!  I think I should call him BOSS from now on out.  So good.  Anyway, he graciously gave me the pizza dough recipe.

In unrelated news, I have been buying pizza sauce every time I make homemade pizza for years.  And it seems stupid.  That's foul language in my house so you might understand how excited I am about this new recipe. 

So, (I promise I'm going to bring this all together) I read this book called 7, an experimental mutiny against excess, and I highly recommend it.  Very inspiring, convicting read.  Do you want to know the only recipe that was in the whole book?  Yep, homemade pizza sauce.  And I put it with my FIL's dough.  *Roll your eyes* good.

Here goes.

Pizza Dough

1 1/2 cup warm water
1 1/2 t sugar
2 T active dry yeast
3 cups flour
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t basil
1/2 t Italian seasonings
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t salt

Mix first 3 ingredients in a non-metal bowl and set aside.  In a large bowl mix remaining ingredients.  If yeast mixture has bubbled up, add to flour mixture.  Set aside to double in size.

Punch down and press into pan.  Add toppings and bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

Pizza Sauce (from Jen Hatmaker's book 7)

Saute 3 garlic cloves and 1 tsp. red pepper flakes in 1/4 c. of good olive oil for 3-4 minutes.  Add one 28 ounce can of Muir Glen organic crushed tomatoes** (must be this brand according to Jen). Stir then simmer for five minutes, add salt and pepper to taste, along with a bunch of chopped fresh basil.  Heat through.  Spread on pizza crust.  Use any leftover sauce for dunking pizza crusts - or eating with a spoon, in my case!

**I could not find this - still looking around.  I used Contadina's crushed tomatoes.

Photobucket

No comments: