Thursday, February 10, 2011

Happy Happy Birthday...

Miss Lola was 3 yesterday. We had chocolate chip heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast. :D Boy, that's a mouthful. I also made an m&m cookie cake for dessert after dinner. It was a high sugar day! I can't believe she's so old. She'll start preschool in the fall. Seems like we just brought her home from the hospital. The pictures of that day are precious. Powell still looks like a baby in them. Talk about a mess of a post. Random thoughts all over! Well, let me try to organize a cohesive thought...
I've just started a new study on the book Crazy Love. So far I love it. I've always been taught to start prayer by praising God. Telling him how awesome and majestic He is. And while He is all of those things, that doesn't really roll off my tongue well. But, in this first chapter of Crazy Love Francis Chan talks about the scripture that actually describes God in the Bible. Jewels... glowing.... angels contstantly singing 'holy, holy, holy'.... with their hands over their eyes...
And he shares this clip that I've linked to below, that shows how teeny tiny the earth is. And suddenly the few moments that I have in the morning before the house wakes up are much more focused. I don't just start throwing my stuff out at God's feet like a laundry list that needs to be covered in prayer. I just look out the back door at the stars and the snow and I think about who God is... and inevitable I think about how grateful I am. And suddenly my laundry list of worries and requests seems so insignificant and small. My God can easily care for those needs.
And you know what? The last few days have been really hectic. But, I have been very content, and even patient! There's a part of me, the realist I suppose (although my husband would tell you that I don't have a realist inside anywhere), that says the answer to day to day contentment and peace and patience isn't that simple. But, what if it is? Doesn't it make sense that if I just keep my priorities lined up with how big God is they won't get out of whack or overwhelming?
Stay tuned...

No comments: